Admit it! You do it too…take a bite out of the classic ooey gooey cheese sticks and see how long you can stretch out the cheese. #LGFcountdown2016 is giving you a healthier option to this lovable appetizer. Baking it in the oven to get that golden crunch we so crave. Grab them before the 1st quarter ends!
12 sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
1 large egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Remove wrappers and cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Freeze cheese until hard and frozen for 30 minutes.
2. In three separate dishes, place egg, flour and breadcrumbs, each in their own dish. Whisk egg. To breadcrumbs dish, add panko, parmesan and parsley.
3. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Dip frozen cheese sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs. Repeat for each cheese stick, placing them on the lined baking sheet. Freeze on sheet at least 15 minutes, or until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange oven rack in the bottom third of your oven.
5. Bake 4 to 5 minutes, turn sticks over, and bake an additional 4-5 minutes, watching sticks closely so they don’t melt. Serve hot with marinara sauce for dipping.